Lesson 1 deals with both introductions of, and in, Japanese.
Parts of the language that are covered and considered essential are:
- Particles: の (genitive), が (subject), は (context), と (listing) and に (time-space point/frame)
- Verb grammar I: ごだん and いちだん verb basics, in the five forms,
- The plain/polite-affirmative/negative schemes for any verb in the Japanese language
- Verb grammar II: いる, ある, する (with particle を) and なる (with particle に)
- Phrase grammar: the copula (だ/です), how sentences work.
There are four "sections" to this lesson: the lesson itself, which explains grammar and familiarises you with some of the expressions and constructions in this lesson, the word list, which is the comprehensive list of words used in this lesson, as well as some additional contextually appropriate words, a practice session where you get to apply your new knowledge of Japanese, and a conversation that uses some of the grammar in the lesson, as well as some grammar that will be explained next lesson as a teaser.
Good luck, and most importantly, enjoy =)